Are you waiting for the latest OTT releases this week? From erotic Fatal Seduction to Super natural thriller Adhura…the list is fileld with a good number of thrillers and feel-good movies.
Sweet Kaaram Coffee: An Emotional Journey Packed with Adventure and Self-Discovery
OTT Platform: Prime Video
Directed by: Bejoy Nambiar, Krishna Marimuthu, Swathi Raghuraaman
Cast: Lakshmi, Madhoo, Santhy Balachandran, Vamsi Krishna, Kavin Jay Babu
Sweet Kaaram Coffee embarks on the adventurous journey of three inter-generational women who decide to take a road trip to explore their lives from a fresh perspective. This life-altering trip presents opportunities to make new friends, develop fresh outlooks and get in touch with their inner selves, bringing about much-needed change in their lives.
- The stellar performances by Lakshmi, Madhoo, and Santhy Balachandran, representative of three generations, infuse life and authenticity into the series.
- The narrative, beautifully penned by Reshma Ghatala, Swathi Raguraaman, Vinithra Madhavan Menon and Krishnaswamy Rajkumar, strikes a balance between being spicy, honeyed, heart-warming, and prickly.
- The series thoughtfully explores themes of mortality, freedom, and living life on one’s own terms.
Adhura: A Supernatural Thriller Set in a Haunting School
OTT Platform: Amazon Prime Video
Created by: Ananya Banerjee, Gauravv K. Chawla
Cast: Ishwak Singh, Rasika Dugal, Shrenik Arora
Adhura, a supernatural thriller set in an elite boarding school, reveals a secret so dark that it disrupts the lives of everyone connected to it. The series traces the mystery surrounding disappearances, secrets, and eerie occurrences that link a guilt-ridden alumnus named Adhiraj and a troubled student named Vedant, merging the lines between the past and present.
- The narrative showcases the alluring historical charm and captivating architecture of Ooty, which provides a perfect canvas for the thriller.
- The choice of location – an actual school with its weathered exteriors, dimly lit hallways, and shadow-filled corners – lends the series an authentically eerie atmosphere.
IB 71: A Spy Thriller That Explores Pak-Version of Intelligence Stories
OTT Platform: Disney+ Hotstar
Directed by: Sankalp Reddy
Cast: Vidyut Jammwal, Anupam Kher, Vishal Jethwa, Dalip Tahil, Faizan Khan, Niharica Raizada
IB 71 is a spy thriller that follows the protagonist, Agent Dev (Vidyut Jammwal), who leads a top-secret mission to block Indian air space for West Pakistan’s military movement ahead of the 1971 war. It draws inspiration from real events including the 1971 hijack of a Fokker F27 plane, named Ganga, by Kashmiri extremists.
- The film tries to sell us the Pakistani theory that the hijack was the handiwork of the Indian intelligence agencies so that they could find a reason to block the Indian air space for Pakistani military’s movement towards the then East Pakistan in the run-up to the December 1971 war that led to the birth of Bangladesh.
Moonu Muppathi Moonu: A Failed Horror Experiment
OTT Platform: Aha Cinema
Directed by: Nambikkai Chandru
Cast: Sandy Master, Shruthi Selvam, Mime Gopi, Saravanan, Rama, Reshma, Gautham Vasudev Menon
Moonu Muppathi Moonu unfolds the tale of Sandy, who moves into a new house with his family, only to experience peculiar incidents tied to the time 3:33. Sandy’s customised clock chimes this time, awakening a chilling spirit. The plot revolves around Sandy’s struggle against this inexplicable presence.
- Sandy Master’s splendid performance, particularly in emotional scenes, shines throughout the film.
- The horror element is quite interesting once the spirit’s presence is confirmed. However, predictability creeps in after a point, with clichéd jump-scare moments.
Takkar: A Potential Action-Romance Flick Losing its Spark
OTT Platform: Netflix
Directed by: Karthik G Krish
Cast: Siddharth, Divyansha Kaushik, Yogi Babu, RJ Vigneshkanth, Abhimanyu Singh
Takkar trails the journey of Guns, a young man trying to climb the social ladder. His life takes a wild turn when he discovers a bag full of money, leading him to cross paths with a group of women traffickers. In this chaos, he saves Lucky, a girl with a troubled past. Their shared ordeal forms the backbone of the narrative.
- The plot develops interestingly, with Guns and Lucky finding solace and budding romance in shared adversities.
- The movie’s downfall lies in Lucky’s character development, turning her into more of a plot device rather than a real character.
- Despite its potential, the film fails to make a lasting impact due to its confusing narrative and lacklustre execution.
Tarla: A Biopic that Celebrates the Life of Renowned Chef Tarla Dalal
OTT Platform: ZEE5
Directed by: Piyush Gupta
Cast: Huma Qureshi, Sharib Hashmi
Tarla is a biopic portraying the life of renowned chef and cookbook author Tarla Dalal. The film is an uplifting tale packed with emotions, inspiration, and a sprinkling of entertainment. It highlights the journey of a determined woman who breaks barriers in the culinary world, with the unwavering support of her husband.The film is expected to be a feel-good and moving narrative with a dash of inspiration.
Fatal Seduction: An Erotic Thriller With a Dark Twist
OTT Platform: Netflix
Directed by: Steven Pillemer
Cast: Thapelo Mokoena, Kgomotso Christopher, Prince Grootboom, Nat Ramabulana, Lunathi Mampofu
In Fatal Seduction, a married woman, Nandi, takes a weekend trip that not only ignites her desires but ends tragically. The series unravels past lies and secrets, causing Nandi to question the honesty of those close to her.
- The plot intertwines eroticism, suspense, and dark secrets, adding depth and mystery to the narrative.
- The series features an engaging storyline filled with unexpected twists.
- It explores the complexities of relationships and the consequences of hidden secrets.
Blind: A Tale of Resilience and Determination
OTT Platform: Jio Cinema
Directed by: Shome Makhija
Cast: Sonam Kapoor Ahuja, Purab Kohli, Vinay Pathak, Lillete Dubey, Shubham Saraf
Blind revolves around a strong, determined protagonist who overcomes various life challenges. The film showcases the life of a woman who does not let her disabilities hinder her resilience, leading to an inspiring and moving narrative.
- I hope it will be a comeback for Sonam kapoor.
Farhana – A Tale of Empowerment Amidst Struggles
OTT Platform: SonyLiv (Multi-Audio)
Directed by: Nelson Venkatesan
Cast: Aishwarya Rajesh, Selvaraghavan, Jithan Ramesh, Anumol, Aishwarya Dutta
Farhana (Aishwarya Rajesh), a Muslim woman from a conservative family, starts working due to financial difficulties. She ends up in a job that involves talking to desperate men seeking female companionship. Over time, she grows comfortable with the work, as it improves her family’s living conditions. Things spiral out of control when she breaks company rules and tries to meet a frequent caller.
Archie’r Gallery: A Nostalgic Romance That Touches the Heart (Bengali)
OTT Platform: Zee5
Directed by: Promita Bhattacharya
Cast: Bonny Sengupta, Ayoshi Talukdar
Archie’r Gallery takes you back to the ’90s through the lives of Archie and Niharika, and their love story influenced by Archie’s father’s romantic narratives. As the film progresses, it questions if the charm of old-school, greeting card romance has faded in the era of dating sites.
Other OTT Releases This Week
Katharbasha Endra Muthuramalingam, ZEE5
Hack My Home, Netflix
Beautiful Disaster (2023), Amazon Prime